Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Unit
The HSE unit is dedicated to supporting the Authority’s mandate of developing and modernizing the rail transportation systems within the cities and Suburban areas of the Nation. We are committed as a unit to provide leadership, technical and administrative direction for the effective performance of the HSE functions of the Authority. The unit develops and implements health/wellbeing and safety programmes and activities; establishes, monitors, and enforces policies and procedures; and helps ensure that staff and contractors comply with both National and local health, safety and environmental regulatory Standards including the Authority’s policies and procedures. HSE provides training and guidance on HSE issues, including work practices and activities involving hazardous and regulated materials, equipment and on the environment.
Head of Unit: SAMIRA NAGAIYA
PRINCIPLES, STANDARDS AND GUIDANCE
- Provides guidance, direction and oversight to help ensure adherence to both National and local rules, policies and regulations.
- Development and implementation of the Authority's policies and procedures related to health, safety and environment.
- Oversee the conduct of regular health, safety and environmental audits
- Ensures the establishment of risk management protocol.
TRAINING AND AWARENESS
- Assist stakeholders with HSE compliance requirements needed for projects (infrastructure development).
- Develops and implements educational information and tools to effectively raise awareness amongst staff participating in duties and activities that pose environmental, occupational health and safety risks.
- Disseminates information and provides guidance regarding compliance with National and local regulations.
ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT
- Develops and maintains electronic database/record of accidents and near-misses.
- Recommends the appointment of HSE members
- Ensures the implementation of performance management systems within the unit.
MONITORING AND NONCOMPLIANCE
- Monitors HSE issues in accordance with national and local laws and regulations and relevant stakeholders.
- Supports the Authority’s compliance and monitoring efforts and reports in cases of noncompliance to the appropriate compliance unit.
- Investigates significant HSE noncompliance, accidents, near-misses and complaints.
- Coordinates the identification and implementation of corrective actions and related activities
RECORDS AND REPORTING
- Creates and maintains records for all HSE procedures in accordance with national and local regulations. Also periodically reviews these records.